Men's Lacrosse Drops Close One to Transylvania, 9-8

Men's Lacrosse Drops Close One to Transylvania, 9-8

The Oglethorpe men's lacrosse team suffered a difficult loss Tuesday night, falling to Transylvania 9-8 at the new Oglethorpe Track and Field.

The team took a 4-1 lead with 3:15 left in the first quarter, getting goals from sophomore Jake Godwin, juniors Arness Holsey and Dylan Stanley, and freshman Matt Hardwick, and an assist from senior Maseo Brown, to build the lead.

However, the visiting Pioneers scored six straight goals spanning a period into the third quarter, taking command of the game, 7-4. The Petrels fought back with a goal from freshman Connor Moore off an assist from Holsey, cutting the Transylvania lead to 7-5 with 9:31 left in the third quarter. Transylavania scored again before the quarter was out, though, rebuilding their lead to three goals.

In the fourth quarter, the Pioneers scored again to make their lead 9-5, their largest of the game. Then the Petrels started a spirited comeback, though. Brown scored with 5:51 remaining to cut the deficit to three goals, then Holsey stole the ball, ran right at goal and scored 20 seconds later to make it 9-7 with 5:30 still left on the clock. Oglethorpe then went on an extra-man opportunity immediately after the goal, as Transylvania committed a two-minute illegal body check penalty on the shot. Stanley converted the extra-man opportunity with a man-up goal off an assist from Holsey to cut the Pioneer lead to 9-8 with 3:37 remaining.

However, the Oglethorpe comeback bid stalled there, as they incurred a one-minute slashing penalty with 1:10 remaining. Transylvania was able to kill off the penalty and hold on for the one-goal victory.

The game was very close statistically. Transylvania outshot Oglethorpe 29-25, but Oglethorpe put 20 shots on goal to Transylvania's 19. Transylvania won 11 of 19 faceoffs to the Petrels' eight, but Oglethorpe scooped up 41 ground balls to the Pioneers' 36. The Pioneers lost the turnover battle 25-24, but converted on 23 of 26 clear attempts to Oglethorpe's 21-of-25. Transylvania was 2-for-5 on extra-man opportunities while the Petrels went 1-for-4.

Holsey and Stanley each scored two goals for the Petrels, while Hosley tallied a pair of assists, as well. Holsey also put eight shots on goal out of the nine shots he took. Hardwick and freshman defender John Shramek each scooped five ground balls, as did junior goalie Cooper O'Brien. Senior defender Nick Pizzo caused three Transylvania turnovers. O'Brien stopped 10 of the 19 shots he faced.

The 2-6 Petrels will now prepare for the start of the SAA schedule. They'll take on Berry at 4 p.m. on Tuesday in Rome, Ga., then come back home for a 3 p.m. showdown with Sewanee next Saturday at the new turf field.