Men's Lacrosse Falls in Tight One at Rhodes, 9-8

Men's Lacrosse Falls in Tight One at Rhodes, 9-8

The Oglethorpe men's lacrosse team played a tough, hard-fought game against Rhodes Sunday in Memphis, Tenn. However, with the score tied at 5-5 after three quarters, the Stormy Petrels fell behind by three goals and could never quite make it back, falling to the home-standing Lynx, 9-8.

It was a low-scoring contest, especially in the first half. Midfielder Brayden Simpson tied the game 1-1 with a man-up goal at the 2:40 mark of the first quarter. However, from that point, the Lynx scored three straight goals to take a 4-1 lead into the halftime break.

The Petrels came storming back in the second half, though. Back-to-back goals from Simpson made it a 4-3 game with 11:16 remaining in the third quarter. Though Rhodes quickly scored another goal to bring it back up to a 5-3 game, the Petrels got another goal from Simpson and one from midfielder Austin Anderson to tie the game up, 5-5, with 4:11 remaining in the third quarter. That score held at the end of the third quarter.

In the fourth, Rhodes scored four of the next five goals to retake a three-goal led, 9-6, with 6:26 remaining in the game. The lone Petrel goal from that period came from midfielder Hunter Dutton. The Petrels tried a furious rally in the game final four minutes, getting two goals in less than 60 seconds from midfielder Jake Godwin (off an assist from Simpson) and attackman Arness Holsey to cut the Rhodes lead to 9-8 with 3:02 remaining in the game. However, the Petrels could not get the game-tying goal over the final three minutes and wound up falling by a single goal.

Simpson was the player of the game for the Petrels, scoring four goals on 11 shots, putting eight of his shots on target. Goalie Cooper O'Brien had one of his best performances of the season, as well, making 21 saves on 30 shots on goal. 

The Petrels were only outshot 30-24 on goal and 49-34 overall. In addition, they successfully cleared the ball 29 times on 31 attempts. However, they only secured 3-of-21 faceoffs and picked up just 14 ground balls. They did keep out of the penalty box relatively well, accruing just three penalty minutes on four infractions.

The loss drops the Petrels to 3-9 in all games, 0-4 in SAA play. They now return home for three straight SAA contests to the end the season, starting when they host Centre at 2 p.m. on Saturday on the Oglethorpe Track and Field.